By Maxx Joseph
(NaturalHealth365) Acne is a common skin condition that affects most people at some stage in their life. It mostly occurs at the adolescent stage in the skin area of your shoulders, face, neck, chest or back. Our skin produces a natural oil called sebum that prevents the skin from drying out, but during adolescent period, this oil tends to be produced in excess.
This excess oil blocks the hair follicles of the skin and this is what leads to development of acne together with accumulation of dead skin cells. Eventually, if the condition is ignored and worsens, the excess oil will make that part of the skin black or dark hence the name “blackhead”.
When the follicles stay blocked, they can become swollen due to the growth of a harmless bacterium called Propionibacterium acnes hence causing development of bump-like spots called papules or white spots called pustules.
Depending on how severe your acne is, it can cause emotional discomfort or the scarring of the skin can make you feel unattractive, hence the importance of starting treatment early before the scars cause extensive damage to your skin.
The best way to treat acne is by using essential oils which can be found incorporated in some beauty products or naturally in the market. Essential oils have been proven to work for centuries and people still trust them as natural sources of medicine in today’s world. Using essential oils will help clear your skin from acne quickly and organically.
Top 10 essential oils to help reduce acne and blemishes
- Lavender oil – helps to calm and fight blemishes in your skin. Make it a daily routine by using a moisturizer with lavender or make your own by adding jojoba and almond oil. Apply the oil to the areas of concern – twice a day.
- Tea Tree oil – contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, which reduce the inflammation that leads to the swelling caused by bacteria of the skin. You can take a small piece of cotton wool, dip it in the oil and wipe the area of concern. If you have an extremely sensitive skin, dilute the oil with a carrier oil (such as coconut or olive oil).
Be aware that it dries the skin, so use a moisturizer.
A good dilution ratio is 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Although, if you have extra sensitive skin, it is recommended that you do 1-2 drops of oil.
- Bergamot oil – has an amazing citrus scent and antibacterial properties – which will do the magic of eliminating black spots and blemishes on your skin. It easily combines with coconut , jojoba and olive oils, making it a perfect mixture for treating acne.
- Rosemary oil – reduces the excess oil in the skin, making it a good choice for treating acne. It has an anti-inflammatory effect which reduces the redness of the skin caused by acne.
Use a moisturizer that contains rosemary regularly to get a perfect acne treatment.
- Cypress essential oil – is extracted through steam distillation of the cypress twigs. It helps tone the skin, prevent large skin pores and reduce oil in an oily skin.
- Lemongrass oil – is distilled by steam distillation of the lemongrass’ leaves and stems. It contains Vitamins A which enhance skin cell repair that replaces the dead skin cells and Vitamin E, which aids to lighten acne spots and blemish scars.
- Frankincense oil – is a personal favorite for most people. It has wonderful healing and revitalizing properties that help all types of skin.
Truthfully, it is a perfect choice for a healthy and youthful skin without acne scars. Not only will it help with acne, but it also has effective properties that eliminate wrinkles.
- Oregano essential oil – has a higher percentage of phenol which is an organic compound with strong disinfectant properties. Use small amounts because oregano tends to cause skin irritation. It is highly recommended that you dilute this essential oil with a carrier oil like mentioned in #2.
- Chamomile essential oil – calms the irritation caused by acne and also lightens the black spots of acne. Add a few drops of chamomile oil on your face wash regimen daily to get the perfect results.
- Geranium essential oil – which is green in color when extracted, has a very strong scent with rich antibacterial and antioxidant properties good for acne elimination and aging skin. You can use it at night when going to sleep to achieve maximum results.
One final (important) point …
Choosing to use essential oils to eliminate acne is not only a proven technique but it also makes it super simple because essential oils are easily available and you do not need to get them through a dermatologist.
Using essential oils is only a matter of applying a couple drops to your hands and massaging the oil into the areas of concern. You will see quicker results than synthetic prescribed medication and they are also the perfect natural (non-toxic) solution.