By Kali Sinclair
(NaturalNews) I remember the days when my medicine cabinet was filled with over the counter drugs along with prescription medications. Those days are gone. These are the top 5 kitchen items my family uses for first aid and health care.
Apple Cider Vinegar –Raw, organic apple cider vinegar is amazing. Many people swear by it as a preventative, taking shots each day. It is a probiotic, therefore it helps keep the gut healthy. It’s other uses include:
- Ear infections: At the first sign of an ear infection, lay on your side and use a dropper to fill the ear canal with apple cider vinegar. Catch it early enough, and one dose is all you need. Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria and yeast infections.
- Fungus: In addition to ears, apple cider vinegar applied directly will kill fungal infections on the skin, including athlete’s foot.
- Sore throats: Gargle with apple cider vinegar. Just don’t breath in the fumes. Yes, it burns. But moments later, your throat will not hurt.
- Bug bites: Apple cider vinegar is a time honored cure for mosquito bites.
- Take a shot if you have heartburn. It works!
- Vaginal yeast infections: Use in a douche. Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 8 ounces of filtered water.
- Zits: Dab on pimples and acne to kill bacteria and restore proper pH to the skin.
Garlic – Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic. Who needs antibiotics when we have garlic? At the first sign of illness, chew garlic. It’s not for the faint of heart, I agree. But practice helps. One of my first attempts at natural medicine was to place a small garlic clove in my ear to treat an ear infection. Don’t do it. Mine got stuck.
- Infection: Chew garlic for any systemic infection. Better yet, use raw garlic often and abundantly in your diet for preventative care.
- Fungus: Garlic can be diced up and used to treat fungal skin infections.
- Vaginal Infections: Insert a garlic clove into the vagina at night. For easier retrieval, sew a string through the core.
Aloe vera – Few things are as soothing to the skin as aloe vera.
- Burns: Break open a piece of aloe vera and rub over a burn.
- Irritated Skin: Spread aloe vera over affected skin.
- Superficial Injuries: Cuts, scrapes, bug bites, acne. Spread aloe vera over affected area.
Coconut oil – Coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal and it is so soothing for any skin issues. You can add essential oils to treat nail fungus or to make bug repellent. (See the first source below for a couple of homemade toothpaste recipes.)
- Use for oil pulling. Coconut oil is good for the teeth and gums and is reported to whiten the teeth. It can be used as a toothpaste alone or used as a base with other ingredients (see the first source below for homemade toothpaste recipes).
- Irritated skin. Every variety of irritated skin will benefit from coconut oil. Great for baby’s bottoms and adult nether regions as well.
Ginger – One of ginger’s claims to fame is its ability to cure nausea. While garlic is miraculous for cleansing the body of parasites, viruses, and bacteria, it can cause severe nausea. Follow garlic with ginger to calm the stomach.
- If fresh ginger is taken at the first sign of a migraine, it will stop a migraine before it can take hold. Juice fresh ginger with apples or apples and carrots. (We don’t get migraines, but we know people who do. This is a miraculous treatment.)
- Chew ginger or juice it for a ginger shot.
These are the basics to always keep on hand. For a complete list of natural health care items to fully stock your “medicine chest” check out www.organiclifestylemagazine.com.